If you are currently enrolled at UT Austin and would like to transfer from another UT Austin school/college to the School of Information or add a second major in Informatics, apply as an internal transfer student. University policies place restrictions on when you may apply to transfer to another college or add a second major.
You are eligible to apply to transfer from another UT Austin school/college to the School of Information if:
- You are enrolled in your second, third, or fourth long-semester at UT Austin; AND
- You will have at least 24 hours and no more than 45 hours of coursework completed in-residence at UT Austin by the end of the semester in which you are applying; AND
- You a have a minimum GPA of 3.0; AND
- You have attended an information session prior to the day that you begin your internal transfer application.
You are eligible to apply to add a second major in Informatics, if:
- You will have at least 30 hours of coursework completed in-residence at UT Austin by the end of the semester in which you apply; AND
- You meet all of the other conditions above.
How to Apply
Application PeriodThe application period opens on February 4th (the 13th class day) and the application deadline is March 1st.
The application process is online and may be accessed during the posted application period after eligible students have attended a required information session. In order to apply, you must meet the eligibility requirements and submit the online application.
The application will include a required essay. You may use this essay to provide any additional information you think may be relevant to your request for internal transfer. The essay could address your academics, interest in your intended major, or anything else that you feel is pertinent to your application.