Thank you for considering The University of Texas at Austin School of Information's degree and certificate programs!
Undergraduate Admissions Procedures
The Office of Admissions handles admissions for freshman and transfer students to The University of Texas at Austin. See our Undergraduate Admissions page for application deadlines and resources. If you are a current UT student wanting to transfer from another school/college into the Informatics program or add Informatics as a second major, please visit our Internal Transfer Admissions page to learn how to apply.
Undergraduate Admissions Deadlines
- Freshman: The application deadline for first time in college students is December 1st.
- External Transfers: The application deadline is March 1st for fall admission or October 1st for spring admission.
- Internal Transfers: The deadline for current UT students to apply is March 1st.
Graduate Admissions Procedures
Admission to the School of Information's graduate programs requires applicants to complete the following general application procedures for the UT Graduate School. For full details, refer to the Graduate School’s Admissions page. Please allow plenty of time to process your application.
Graduate Admissions Deadlines
- Doctoral Students: The application deadline for the PhD program is December 1st.
- Master's Students: The application deadline for the MSIS program is February 1st. MSISP applicants, view deadlines and admissions procedures here.
Note: Spring admission is not available for any graduate programs.
GRE Scores: For the Fall 2022 admissions cycle, the School of Information will not require GRE scores as part of the application for the MSIS, dual dregree, and PhD programs. Submission of scores is optional for applicants who would like to provide the Admissions Committee additional information about their potential for success in the program.
- Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) application for admission and admission fee: The Texas Common Application is available at ApplyTexas.org.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended: Submit electronic copies of your official transcripts according to the GIAC website. Please avoid mailing paper copies to ensure a quicker processing of your application.
- An official report of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores: Scores must be sent from the official testing agency to GIAC, using the codes for The University of Texas at Austin (GRE Code: 6882). (Optional for Fall 2022 applicants.)
- Statement of Purpose: Once your application is submitted, electronically upload a statement of purpose for your desired program of study. (See MSIS Requirements or PhD Requirements.)
- Three letters of recommendation: You will be asked to submit the names and contact information of three recommenders at the time of your online application. After submitting the application, each contact will receive an email with directions for submitting a recommendation letter online.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international students only): International students must submit official test results from either the TOEFL or IELTS exams, according to the guidelines provided by GIAC.
Certificate Program Admissions (Non-Degree Seeking Students)
Applicants to the School Librarian Certificate program (who already have a master's degree) or the Certificate of Advanced Study program should apply to the UT Graduate School as non-degree seeking students.