Pursuing higher education can be financially challenging. The School of Information and the University of Texas at Austin offer a variety of funding options that place your degree in information studies within reach. Prospective students are encouraged to carefully consider these available funding avenues along with the employability and starting salaries of information professionals. Funding opportunities can continue to be explored throughout the completion of your iSchool program.
Where to Begin:
- Visit the UT Tuition page for current tuition rates
- Complete your FAFSA application early, as money is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. The UT FAFSA deadline is March 15th.
- Consult the UT Graduate School Overview of funding options in addition to the opportunities below.
- Check youraid status.
The School of Information offers a set number of scholarships to outstanding graduate candidates. Incoming students are considered during the application process while returning students must complete the Student Funding Application to be considered.
Teaching & Graduate Research Assistantships
Many students receive funding through competitive Teaching Assistantships and GRA positions available within and outside of the iSchool. Incoming and continuing students interested in TAships may apply using the Student Funding Application. GRA positions are frequently listed in the iCareers Portal for admitted students. See the Student Employment Guide for more information.
Students are also encouraged to pursue external scholarship opportunities. Past students have received awards from the American Library Association, the Professional Association, Society of American Archivists, and other sources. See the UT Graduate School's list of external fellowships here.
iSchool Endowed Scholarships for Student Support
- Mary R. Boyvey Endowed Presidential Scholarship in Youth and Information
- Mary E. Cleveland Centennial Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- The Mrs. Kate Polk Dimmitt Memorial Scholarship
- Robert R. Douglass Memorial Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Catheryne S. Franklin Centennial Endowed Scholarship
- GLISSA Endowed Scholarship
- Alice Duggan and David Caldwell Gracy Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Julie Hallmark Honorary Graduate Fellowship
- Carolyn Hixson Harris Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Billie Grace Herring Endowed Scholarship
- Houston Endowment Graduate Fellowship
- Alice Brooks McGuire Endowed Scholarship
- Layton B. Murphy Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Benonine Muse Scholarship Fund
- Charles A. and Alice C. Reeve Endowed Graduate Fellowship
- SALALM Marietta Daniels Shepard Memorial Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Roberta I. Shaffer Graduate Fellowship in Law Librarianship & Legal Information Studies
- C. Glenn Sparks Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- T. L. L. Temple Foundation Centennial Scholarship
- Texwood Furniture Corporation Endowed Scholarship
- Betty Bullington Threadgill Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Lee-hsia Hsu Ting Endowed Graduate Fellowship in Information Studies
- Phillip Tocker Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- Sam G. Whitten Memorial Endowed Presidential Scholarship
- H. W. Wilson Endowed Presidential Scholarship